Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Responsibility x3

Everybody makes impulsive decisions and buys things they do not need. I am no exception. Today I bought three succulents. I said I wasn’t going to go to Mathile because I didn’t want to spend money on plants. Later that morning, I said I would go but just to look. After approaching the plant area, I told myself I just wanted to see what the plants felt like. The next thing I knew I was Googling how to take care of a succulent. Thanks, Biology Student Association.

Succulents are very popular right now. How can they not be? They’re tiny and unconventional looking. They look like fake plants you would find in a doctor’s office. I have never trusted any succulent I’ve seen. In order to tell whether or not they’re real, I always touch them. Even after that, I am never entirely sure if they’re real or not. I am not a plant person. I’m able to admire from far away but don’t have much experience caring for inside plants. I am in way over my head.

Anyway, I now own succulents. I’m a succulent parent. This is a lot more responsibility than I thought I would be taking on today. Things have escalated much more rapidly than I had planned. Yesterday I had one plant and today I have four. For my birthday, I got a Bob Ross chia pet and things have been fine. Not great but fine. Chia pets require you to water them daily so that the pot stays wet. The problem is that they soak up water fairly quickly and should be watered at roughly same time of the day. I often, forget to water Bob at the same time and for that, I am sorry.

I have a much bigger problem with the succulents. After an inadequate amount of time reading three articles, I found out succulents do not need to be watered daily. If you do, the roots will rot. If you don’t water them enough, the roots will dry up. Also, too much sunlight and they can get sunburnt. What a completely insane thing to happen. In order to water the plants, the soil should be completely dry. You then must put the plant under the faucet and completely saturate the soil. That seems like the wrong thing to do, but if the internet told me to do it, I will.


The articles made me very nervous and I’m hoping it’s not going to be as hard as they made me think it’s going to. Bob Ross now has a friend, but if I’m being honest, I’m not sure how long I’m going to be responsible and remember to water them.

3 comments:

  1. I am no green thumb myself, we tried to grow a groot chia pet in our apartment this semester but we were not able to get anything to sprout. My mom and sister grow lots of plants and I like to have them around the house but they are just not something I am very good with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so very relatable. I got succulents from the biology club too. I bought them not knowing how to care for them but think I am doing well and that they will survive. I know yours will too!

    ReplyDelete